The Park

The Derwent Valley between Matlock and Matlock Bath has attracted many visitors taking advantage of the thermal waters and spectacular landscape.

HALL LEYS retains the traditional features of a well-appointed ornamental park. Started at the end of the 19th century as a riverside promenade, the park that survives today is very similar in general layout to the original design.

Hall Leys Park was officially opened in 1911 to celebrate the coronation of King George V.

In the late 1960′s the bed of the River Derwent was lowered and a retaining wall erected giving the park an important roll in the local flood defences.

The park has excellent facilities including a putting and bowling greens, a children’s boating lake, miniature railway, tennis courts, a dynamic skateboard park and a children’s interactive play area and splash pool.

With well-surfaced paths, plenty of benches, good lighting and clear open spaces, the park is a regular venue for major events, competitions and festivals. Our cafe provides information about the history and features of all five parks in Matlock.